100 Questions & Answers About Spine Disorders
Spinal Tumors: A Treatment Guide for Patients and Family
all proceeds from book sales are donated to charity
1. Acosta, FL; CP Ames; HE Aryan. Infections of the Spine. Contemporary Spine Surgery 9(10), October 2008.
2. Acosta, FL; HE Aryan, CP Ames. Emerging Directions in Motion Preservation Spinal Surgery. Neurosurgery Clinics of North America 16(4): 665-669, October 2005.
3. Acosta, FL; HE Aryan; CP Ames. Successful Outcome of 6-Level Cervicothoracic Corpectomy and Circumferential Reconstruction: Case Report and Literature Review on Multilevel Cervicothoracic Corpectomy. European Spine Journal 15(17): 670-674, October 2006.
4. Acosta, FL; HE Aryan; DC Chou; CP Ames. Long-Term Biomechanical Stability and Clinical Improvement after Extended Multilevel Corpectomy and Circumferential Reconstruction of the Cervical Spine Using Titanium Mesh Cages. Journal of Spinal Disorders & Techniques 21(3): 165-174, May 2008.
5. Acosta, FL; HE Aryan; JH Chi; AT Parsa; CP Ames. Modified Paramedian Transpedicular Approach and Spinal Reconstruction for Intradural Tumors of the Cervical and Cervicothoracic Spine: Clinical Experience. Spine 32(6): E203-E210, March 2007.
6. Acosta, FL; HE Aryan; WR Taylor; CP Ames. Kyphoplasty-Augmented Short-Segment Pedicle Screw Fixation of Traumatic Lumbar Burst Fractures: Initial Clinical Experience and Literature Review. Neurosurgical Focus 18(3): E9, March 2005.
7. Acosta, FL; JM Cloyd; HE Aryan; CP Ames. Patient Satisfaction and Radiographic Outcomes After Lumbar Spinal Fusion without Iliac Crest Bone Graft or Transverse Process Fusion. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 16(9): 1184-1187, September 2009.
8. Acosta, FL; JM Cloyd; HE Aryan; CP Ames. Perioperative Complications and Clinical Outcomes of Multilevel Circumferential Lumbar Spinal Fusion in the Elderly. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 16(1): 69-73, January 2009.
9. Acosta, FL; LF Galvez, HE Aryan; CP Ames. Recent Advances: Infections of the Spine. Current Infectious Disease Reports 8(5): 390-393, September 2006.
10. Amar, AP; HE Aryan; HS Meltzer, ML Levy. Neonatal Subgaleal Hematoma Causing Brain Compression: Report of Two Cases and Review of the Literature. Neurosurgery 52(6): 1470-1474, June 2003.
11. Aryan, HE. The Science of Shrinking Human Heads: Tribal Warfare and Revenge Among the South American Jivaro-Shuar. Neurosurgery 57(3): E601, September 2005.
12. Aryan, HE: HS Meltzer; ML Levy; BJ Szkandera; DA Bruce. Hypothalamic Ganglioglioma treated with Temporal Lobectomy. Journal of Neurosurgery 100(2): 217-219, February 2004.
13. Aryan, HE; A Farin; P Nakaji; SG Imbesi; BB Abshire. Intramedullary Spinal Cord Metastasis of Lung Adenocarcinoma Presenting as Brown-Sequard Syndrome. Surgical Neurology 61(1): 72-76, January 2004.
14. Aryan, HE; BM Ozgur; AP Amar; ML Levy. Gunshot Wounds to the Spine in Adolescents. Neurosurgery 57(4): 748-752, October 2005.
15. Aryan, HE; BM Ozgur; R Jandial; ML Levy. Complications of Interhemispheric Transcallosal Approach in Children: Review of 15 Years Experience. Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery 108(8): 790-793, December 2006.
16. Aryan, HE; BM Ozgur; R Jandial; ML Levy. Subfrontal Transbasal Approach for Resection of Craniopharyngioma. Neurosurgical Focus 18(6a): E10, June 2005.
17. Aryan, HE; CB Newman; DC Lu; SS Hu; BK Tay; DS Bradford; CM Puttlitz; CP Ames. Relaxation of Forces Needed to Distract Cervical Vertebrae After Discectomy: A Biomechanical Study. Journal of Spinal Disorders & Techniques 22(2): 100-104, April 2009.
18. Aryan, HE; CB Newman; EW Nottmeier; FL Acosta; VY Wang; CP Ames. Stabilization of the Atlantoaxial Complex via C1 Lateral Mass and C2 Pedicle Screw Fixation in a Multicenter Clinical Experience with 102 Patients: Modification of the Harms and Goel Techniques. Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine 8: 222-229, March 2008.
19. Aryan, HE; CB Newman; JJ Gold; FL Acosta; C Coover; CP Ames. Percutaneous Axial Lumbar Interbody Fusion (AxiaLIF) of the L5-S1 Segment: Initial Clinical and Radiographic Experience. Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery 51(4): 225-230, August 2008.
20. Aryan, HE; CP Ames; B Szandera; AD Nguyen; FL Acosta; WR Taylor. Coblation of Spinal Endplates in Preparation for Interbody Spinal Fusion. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 13(3): 349-352, April 2006.
21. Aryan, HE; DC Lu; FL Acosta; CP Ames. Corpectomy Followed by Instrumentation with Titanium Cages and Recombinant Human Bone Morphogenic Protein for Vertebral Osteomyelitis. Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine 6: 23-30, January 2007.
22. Aryan, HE; ; DC Lu; FL Acosta; CP Ames. Stand-Alone Anterior Lumbar Discectomy and Fusion (ALDF) with Plate: Initial Clinical Experience. Surgical Neurology 68(1): 7-13, July 2007.
23. Aryan, HE; DC Lu; FL Acosta; R Hartl; PW McCormick; CP Ames. Bioabsorbable Anterior Cervical Plating: Initial Multicenter Clinical and Radiographic Experience. Spine 32(10): 1084-1088, May 2007.
24. Aryan, HE; DS Yanni; P Nakaji; R Jandial; LF Marshall; WR Taylor. Syringocephaly. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 11(4): 421-423, May 2004.
25. Aryan, HE; EM Lawrence. Moisture Monitoring in Historic Stone Monuments. Journal of Art & Archaeology 22: 51-55, December 1995.
26. Aryan, HE; FL Acosta, CP Ames. The Charité Artificial Disc: Insertion Technique. Neurosurgery Clinics of North America 16(4): 637-650, October 2005.
27. Aryan, HE; FL Acosta, CP Ames. The ProDisc Artificial Disc: Insertion Technique. Neurosurgery Clinics of North America 16(4): 651-656, October 2005.
28. Aryan, HE; ; FL Acosta; CP Ames. Two-Level Lumbar Spondylectomy with en bloc Dural Resection for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 15(1): 70-72, January 2008.
29. Aryan, HE; FR Ghosheh; R Jandial; ML Levy. Retinal Hemorrhage and Pediatric Brain Injury: History, Etiology, and Review of the Literature. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 12(6): 624-631, August 2005.
30. Aryan, HE; HD Hoeg; LF Marshall; ML Levy. Multidirectional Projectional Rigid Neuro-Endoscopy: Prototype and Initial Experience. Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery 48(5): 293-296, October 2005.
31. Aryan, HE; HS Meltzer; DC Lu; BM Ozgur; ML Levy; DA Bruce. Management of Pilocytic Astrocytoma with Diffuse Leptomeningeal Spread: Two Cases and Review of Literature. Child’s Nervous System 21(6): 477-481, June 2005.
32. Aryan, HE; HS Meltzer; GG Gerras; R Jandial; ML Levy. Leptomeningeal Cyst Development After Endoscopic Craniosynostosis Repair. Neurosurgery 55(1): 235-238, July 2004.
33. Aryan, HE; HS Meltzer; MS Park; RL Bennett; R Jandial; ML Levy. Antibiotic-Impregnated Silicone Catheters for Shunting of Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) in Children. Child’s Nervous System 21(1): 56-61, January 2005.
34. Aryan, HE; JJ DiStefano. A Computer Model of Rabbit Sympathetic Response to Beta Adrenergic Blockade. UCLA Journal of Undergraduate Research 40: 75-79, March 1996.
35. Aryan, HE; KL Overstreet; DK Amjadi; LA Hansen. Primary Anaplastic Glio-Neuronal Tumor of the Pineal Gland: A New Type of Pineal Neoplasm? Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 11(2): 163-165, February 2004.
36. Aryan, HE; ; KW Box; D Ibrahim; U Desiraju; CP Ames. Safety and Efficacy of Dexmedetomidine in Neurosurgical Patients. Brain Injury 20(8): 791-798, July 2006.
37. Aryan, HE; P Nakaji; DC Lu; JF Alksne. Multimodality Treatment of Trigeminal Neuralgia: Impact of Radiosurgery and High Resolution MR. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 13(2): 239-244, February 2006.
38. Aryan, HE; R Jandial; A Farin; JC Chen; R Granville; ML Levy. Intradural Cranial Congenital Dermal Sinuses: Diagnosis and Management. Child’s Nervous System 22(3): 243-247, March 2006.
39. Aryan, HE; R Jandial; BM Ozgur; SA Hughes; HS Meltzer; MS Park; ML Levy. Surgical Correction of Metopic Synostosis. Child’s Nervous System 21(5): 392-398, May 2005.
40. Aryan, HE; R Jandial; P Nakaji; MS Greenberg; DL Janssen; J Huang; WR Taylor. Lumbar Diskectomy in a Human-Habituated Mountain Gorilla (Gorilla beringei beringei). Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery 108(2): 205-210, February 2006.
41. Aryan, HE; R Jandial; RL Bennett; LS Masri; SD Lavine; ML Levy. Gunshot Wounds to the Head: A Comparison of Gang- and Non-Gang-Related Injuries and Outcomes. Brain Injury 19(7): 505-510, July 2005.
42. Aryan, HE; RO Sanchez-Mejia; S Ben-Haim; CP Ames. Successful Treatment of Cervical Myelopathy with Minimal Morbidity by Circumferential Decompression and Fusion. European Spine Journal 16(9): 1401-1409, September 2007.
43. Aryan, HE; SG Imbesi; DK Amjadi; BB Abshire. Intramedullary Spinal Cord Astrolipoma. Neurosurgery 53(4): 985-988, October 2003.
44. Aryan, HE; SL Giannotta; T Fukushima; MS Park; BM Ozgur; ML Levy. Aneurysms in Children: Review of 15 Years Experience. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 13(2): 188-192, February 2006.
45. Chen, JC; DL Serna; M Brenner; LL Powell; J Huh; RJ McKenna; RJ Fischel; A Gelb; HE Aryan; A Wilson. Diffusing Capacity Limitations of the Extent of Lung Volume Reduction Surgery in an Animal Model of Emphysema. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 117(4): 728-735, April 1999.
46. Chi, JH; FL Acosta; HE Aryan; D Chou; CP Ames. Partial Spondylectomy: Modification for Lateralized Malignant Spinal Column Tumors of the Cervical or Lumbosacral Spine. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 15(1): 43-48, January 2008.
47. Danchaivijitr, N; JR Hesselink; HE Aryan; B Herndier. Cerebello-Pontine Angle (CPA) Lymphoma with Perineural Extension into the Middle Fossa. Surgical Neurology 62(1): 80-85, July 2004.
48. Eisenberg, LS; DD Dirks; HE Aryan; TS Bell. Speech Recognition in Amplitude-Modulated Noise of Listeners with Normal and Listeners with Impaired Hearing. Journal of Speech and Hearing Research 38: 222-233, February 1995.
49. Farin, A; HE Aryan; BB Abshire. Thymoma Metastatic to the Extradural Spine. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 12(7): 824-827, September 2005.
50. Farin, A; HE Aryan; BM Ozgur; AT Parsa; ML Levy. Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 13(7): 763-770, August 2006.
51. Jandial, R; HE Aryan; Park J; Taylor WT; Snyder EY. Stem cell-mediated regeneration of the intervertebral disc: cellular and molecular challenge. Neurosurgical Focus 24(3-4): E21, March 2008.
52. Jandial, R; HE Aryan; SA Hughes; ML Levy. Effect of Vagus Nerve Stimulator (VNS) Magnet on Programmable Shunt Settings. Neurosurgery 55(3): 627-630, September 2004.
53. Jandial, R; Hughes, SA; HE Aryan; LF Marshall; ML Levy. The Science of Shrinking Human Heads: Tribal Warfare and Revenge Among the South American Jivaro-Shuar. Neurosurgery 55(5): 1215-1221, November 2004.
54. Keshavarzi, S; HE Aryan. Multilevel Lateral Extra-Cavitary Corpectomy and Reconstruction for Non-Contiguous Metastatic Lesions to the Spine: Case Report and Literature Review. Journal of Surgical Oncology 99(5): 314-317, April 2009.
55. Keshavarzi, S; MS Park; HE Aryan; CB Newman; CS Amene; D Gonda; WR Taylor. Minimally Invasive Thoracic Corpectomy and Anterior Fusion in a Patient With Metastatic Disease: Case Report and Review of the Literature. Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery 52(3): 141-143, June 2009.
56. Levy, ML; AD Nguyen; HE Aryan; R Jandial; HS Meltzer; ML Apuzzo. Robotic Virtual Endoscopy: Development of a Multidirectional Rigid Endoscope. Neurosurgery 59(1): 134-141, July 2006.
57. Levy, ML; AD Nguyen; HE Aryan; R Jandial; HS Meltzer; ML Apuzzo. Robotic Virtual Endoscopy: Development of a Multidirectional Rigid Endoscope. Neurosurgery 62(2): 599-606, February 2008.
58. Levy, ML; BM Ozgur; C Berry; HE Aryan; ML Apuzzo. Analysis and Evolution of Head Injury in Football. Neurosurgery 55(3): 649-655, September 2004.
59. Levy, ML; BM Ozgur; C Berry; HE Aryan; ML Apuzzo. Birth and Evolution of the Football Helmet. Neurosurgery 55(3): 656-652, September 2004.
60. Levy, ML; HS Meltzer; SA Hughes; HE Aryan; K Yoo; AP Amar. Hydrocephalus in Children with Middle Fossa Arachnoid Cysts. Journal of Neurosurgery, 101(1): 25-31, August 2004.
61. Levy, ML; M Wang; HE Aryan; K Yoo; HS Meltzer. Microsurgical Keyhole Approach for Middle Fossa Arachnoid Cyst Fenestration. Neurosurgery 53(5): 1138-1145, November 2003.
62. Meltzer, HS; R Granville; HE Aryan; G Billman; R Bennett; ML Levy. Gel-based surgical preparation resulting in an operating room fire during a neurosurgical procedure. Journal of Neurosurgery 102(3): 347-349, April 2005.
63. Newman, CB; S Keshavarzi; HE Aryan. En Bloc Sacrectomy and Reconstruction: Technique Modification for Pelvic Fixation. Surgical Neurology 72(6): 752-756, December 2009.
64. Ozgur, BM; HE Aryan; D Ibrahim; MA Soliman; HS Meltzer; SR Cohen; ML Levy. Emotional and Psychological Impact of Delayed Craniosynostosis Repair. Child’s Nervous System 22(12): 1619-1623, December 2006.
65. Ozgur, BM; HE Aryan; L Pimenta; WR Taylor. Extreme Lateral Interbody Fusion (XLIF): A Novel Surgical Technique for Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion. Spine Journal 6(4): 435-443, July 2006.
66. Ozgur, BM; HE Aryan; ML Levy. Indirect Revascularization for Pediatric Moyamoya Disease: The EDAMS Technique. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 13(1): 105-108, January 2006.
67. Ozgur, BM; HE Aryan; ML Levy. Microsurgical Keyhole Middle Fossa Arachnoid Cyst Fenestration. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 12(7): 804-806, September 2005.
68. Ozgur, BM; J Berberian; HE Aryan; HS Meltzer; ML Levy. The Pathophysiological Mechanism of Cerebellar Mutism. Surgical Neurology 66(1): 18-25, July 2006.
69. Park, MS; AD Nguyen; HE Aryan; HS U; ML Levy; K Semendeferi. Evolution of the Human Brain: Changing Brain Size and the Fossil Record. Neurosurgery 60(3): 555-562, March 2007.
70. Park, MS; HE Aryan; BM Ozgur; R Jandial; WR Taylor. Stabilization of Anterior Cervical Spine with Bioabsorbable Polymer in One- and Two-Level Fusions. Neurosurgery 54(3): 631-635, March 2004.
71. Powell, LL; R Allen; M Brenner; HE Aryan; JC Chen. Improved Patient Outcome after Surgical Treatment for Loculated Empyema. American Journal of Surgery 179(1): 1-6, January 2000.
72. Serna, DL; HE Aryan; KJ Chang; M Brenner; LM Tran; JC Chen. An Early Comparison between Endoscopic-Ultrasonography-Guided Needle Biopsy and Mediastinoscopy for Diagnosis of Mediastinal Malignancy. American Surgeon 64(10): 1014-1018, October 1998.
73. Wang, VY; HE Aryan; CP Ames. A Novel Anterior Technique for Simultaneous Single-Stage Anterior and Posterior Cervical Release for Fixed Kyphosis. Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine 8: 594-599, June 2008.